Where Do I Begin?
When your loved one can no longer live alone, what’s next?
Where do I begin?
We understand that transitioning into assisted care can be an emotional, stressful and often confusing journey. That’s why we’re dedicated to helping families navigate the complex world of care and to build a solid understanding of:
- How to identify when care is necessary
- How to talk about assisted living with your loved one
- What financial planning options are available
- How to best facilitate a smooth transition into an assisted living community
Reach out to your local Frontida house for individualized support and guidance through the first steps into assisted living.
What does ‘assisted living’ mean?
Assisted living is on a spectrum of long term care services that provide housing, personal support and medical care to those who are no longer able to live independently. Unlike nursing homes, assisted living care provides a greater level of independence so residents are able to continue doing the things they love while having the support and care of a specialized team if and when they need it.
In certain cases, residents in assisted living will require a greater level of care due to challenges with memory loss, mental health, and other factors. In these cases, certain Frontida houses can provide specialized memory care and mental health services that are tailored specifically to the unique needs of these residents.
How do I know when it’s time?
Knowing when to begin the journey into assisted living can be challenging for both family members and their loved one. For this reason, many people wait until an event which forces them to make decisions about care very quickly. This can impact your ability to find the best quality of care and an environment that suits the wants and needs of your relative. If you’re not sure whether your loved one may benefit from assisted care, have a read of the common signs below or get in touch with our team for honest and reliable advice about whether now is the right time.
Common signs that it’s time to consider assisted living care:
- Personal care such as showering, dressing or cooking is becoming too difficult
- Home maintenance like cleaning or gardening is being neglected
- Accidents such as trips or falls are becoming more frequent
- Medical care is required on a regular basis
- Lack of companionship and feelings of loneliness are frequently arising
- Mental health is declining and beginning to impact their quality of life
- Issues with forgetfulness or memory loss are becoming more prevalent
- Family members are struggling to provide the level of care required, and it may be affecting your relationship with your loved one
Financial options for assisted living
Many people think that assisted living will sit outside of their financial reach, however there are many options available to ensure your loved one can receive the best and most appropriate care for their needs. Listed below are some of the options we recommend discussing with your financial advisor when considering how to cover the costs of assisted living.
What is included in the costs of assisted living?
As a comprehensive service, the inclusions of assisted living expenses are quite extensive. From housing, daily activities and delicious, home-cooked meals to assistance with medication and round-the-clock medical assistance, everything your loved one needs to live a happy and fulfilling life is included in our fee.
Below is a list of the key inclusions at all Frontida assisted living homes:
- Accommodation and amenities
- Delicious home-cooked meals and snacks throughout the day
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Around-the-clock assistance from licensed nurses if and when needed
- Assistance with prescribed medication by trained and qualified nurses
- Fun and interactive activities to provide enjoyment and maintain social relationships among residents
- Access to an on-site medical doctor
- Support from experienced social workers
- For Memory Care and Mental Health Care residents:
- Specialized memory care/mental health programming and services
- Access to medical staff with extensive experience supporting residents with memory / mental health conditions
If you have more questions, we’re always here to help.
Our mission is to be a trusted resource for families looking for the highest quality care and best living environment for the unique needs of their loved ones. Get in touch to learn more about assisted living care and how Frontida can help you achieve peace of mind.